This tutorial was created using photoshop CS6. But earlier version of photoshop will work, as well. This is an intermediate level tutorial and basic knowledge of photoshop tool and techniques are helpful.
1. Open both files in photoshop. Starting with the stock of the woman, select all of her red dress.
2. Next, we are going to change the color of her dress to green. Using a hue/saturation adjustment layer.
which after should look a little something like this
3. Merge all layers. Using the select tool select the model. Duplicate layer, and delete original background layer. You should have this:
4. Using the move tool, pull the model image to the forest stock image.
Resize and you will have something that looks similar to this.
5. With a layer mask and a soft round black brush set to 35% opacity, blend the model with the background. For the feet use brush 24, under natural brushes. (The brush is a preloaded brush in photoshop) Set at about 75% opacity.
Here is a closer look at the Layer Mask:
6. Create a new layer. Fill layer with black. Then with a large soft round brush, set to 35% opacity, color set to a lime green, paint an orb in the upper right corner of the layer:
Set layer to soft light and fill to 65% opacity. With a layer mask brush effect off of the woman’s face. Right click on the layer and create a clipping mask:
You should have something that looks similar to this:
7. Create a new layer. With a large soft brush set to 35% opacity on the upper left side of the layer create an orb like in the previous layer. I like to pull colors from the background to keep everything looking natural. You can do this using the eyedropper tool or with the brush tool selected, hold down the alt/option key and pick a color from the background. With this orb I started with a darker color, that gradually goes to light.
8. Add a layer mask. With the mask selected go to Image>Apply Image:
Set to Layer: Merged
Channel: Green, Do Not Invert
Channel: Gray, Check Invert
Set layer to screen.
9. Create a new gradient fill layer. First color: 12130e at 100% opacity, second color white 0%opacity.
Set to radial, angle: 0, Scale 145%, I had to set mine to reverse so that the color would fill the edges.
Set Layer to Overlay. Mask out the upper left corner of the layer mask to preserve the backlighting.
10. Now we will be adding some highlights and shadows. Create a new layer, press and hold shift and press backspace. This will bring up a fill menu:
Use set to 50% gray. Blending mode: Normal. Opacity: 100%. Set the layer to soft light. Now with the burn and dodge tool, add lights and shadows where you see fit. Use a soft brush for this, set to mid tones and 15%.
11. Create new layer. Press and hold shift and press backspace. In the fill menu change the 50% gray from the last step to Black. Go to Filters>Add Noise:
Now go to Filter>Filter Gallery:
In the Filter Gallery under the Artistic Folder choose Fresco. Set the options to Brush size: 0, Brush Detail: 10, Texture 3. Add a new layer in the filter gallery. Choose Fresco again and set options to Brush Size: 4, Brush Detail: 10, Texture 3. Press OK.
Set layer to screen. Add a layer mask and brush off face and anywhere that may look excessive.
12. Press and hold Shift+Option+Command+E (for Mac) or Shift+Alt+Crtl+E (PC), to create a new layer with all layers merged. Go to Filter>Filter Gallery:
For the first filter layer choose: Texturizer. Texture: Canvas, Scaling: 100%, Relief: 1, Light: Bottom Right. For the next filter layer: Grain. Intensity: 0, Contrast: 50, Grain Type: Clumped
For the last filter layer: Paint Daubs. Brush Size: 3, Sharpness: 0, Brush Type: Simple. Press OK.
Set Layer to 50% opacity. Add a layer mask and mask the effect off of the eyes.
13. Create a new layer. With a large round brush, set to 50% opacity, color: Dark, Dark Green, brush on shadows on the right side of the picture. Set layer to Soft Light and Opacity to 40%. Add a layer mask and mask off the face and arm where the light hits.
14. Create a new layer. On this layer we will be adding sunlight. With a large round brush set to 50% opacity, and set to brown color to start, make an orb gradually changes from brown to light yellow.
Set layer to Screen and 60% opacity.
15. Next we are going to be adding a curve layer mask. Set the following points as follows. On the RBG Channel set 5 points. First point: 0,46 Second point: 44,47 Third point: 118, 108 Fourth point: 171, 165 Fifth point: 255, 245.
Red channel: Set the points to 0,26 and 247, 255
Green channel: Set the point to: 0, 10
Blue channel: Set the points to: 0,62 and 255, 213
16. Create new layer. Press and hold shift and backspace. Set fill to 50% gray. Go to Filter>Render>Lens Flare.
It should look like this on the screen:
Set layer to Soft Light. Duplicate Layer and you are finished.
I added a square crop at the very end. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. This was my first tutorial and I would love feedback. If you have any suggestions or this was confusing please let me know. If you love this tutorial please show me some love in the comments and subscribe to my blog. This will be the first of many tutorials and freebies. You can find me on Facebook at Simplicity Actions and Presets Facebook page.